Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
karpeggi wrote:How were the old tunes volumes and random 35 track tape recordings found?

I wonder if there are any similarities between then and now?

Not sure but I do know that when the Old Tunes stuff was found, many fans were quick to poop all over it as fakes before Hexagon Sun legitimized it. Is it happening here again now, not sure? But there’s something uncanny and familiar with these tracks at least to my “untrained” ears. I’ve said it here from the start, this stuff really, really sounds like them. But what do I know?

So, let’s assume that this is actually them. My biggest question is, why release it all through YouTube (albeit low quality?) From a business perspective, wouldn’t it make more sense to tease it first as in 2013, before the actual release date? (Unless we’re talking about a ton of old material of course numbering in the hundreds.) And if the music pre-dates their Warp signing, it’s technically theirs under Hexagon Sun and can do what they please I guess?
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Friendly Stranger
For my two pence worth.
Seems like that anyone could do this really. Open season.
There’s no adverse reaction it’s a win/win situation for anyone wanting to promote their work, I find the covering/copying of ‘see ya later’ and the other BOC track problematic though…..

Friendly Stranger
This opens up interesting debates about peoples reactions to music and information though, by taking a familiar aesthetic or ‘feel’ in art or music and possibly re purposing it as your own.
And then using it to promote your own work to generate interest.

Friendly Stranger
It clearly makes people react in different ways via the ‘is it, isn’t it’ question. Often quite strong reactions.
Some clearly believe it is BOC and other clearly don’t. Even some of the comments below the video on YouTube are at pains to explain that it isn’t BOC and go into explicit detail as to why it’s not.
Like I say, I find it an interesting discussion around this side of it, and the promotion/likes/clicks side separate from the music.

Eagle Minded
can't remember if the two are related but Sequoia Films just deleted their channel

Posts Quantity
BeachWoods wrote:This opens up interesting debates about peoples reactions to music and information though, by taking a familiar aesthetic or ‘feel’ in art or music and possibly re purposing it as your own.

In general, that could pertain to just about every musical or visual artist ever, in every genre.

Eagle Minded
Sky and Trails wrote:I'm committing myself to the following statement, and I'm not changing my mind until something definitely proves I'm absolutely wrong:

This is BOC.
It is early versions of music they eventually mastered and released.

In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country - 20:07
https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=1207

Perhaps they're even messing with ideas for the intro at 19:07 for IABPOITC or Everything You Do Is a Balloon.
https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=1147

The interlude at https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=377 is gorgeous, and truly sounds like they were already mastering the craft of these interludes, which I believe they've acknowledged they've made TONS of, but I don't have a quote on that.

I believe this is the beginning of the eventual Dayvan Cowboy: https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=477

I don't recall what song this is, but I know it's BOC, and here it is in it's beginning stages: https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=644

https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=670 is absolutely fucking beautiful, with tension as it rolls over you. It sounds SO familiar! Even more so when the speed is increased, or doubled. I just can't think of which tune it is.

Okay, that's enough. Basically, I'm saying that they are all songs we know and have heard in some form or another. They are different versions, perhaps earlier versions, or perhaps scraps or versions that didn't make the cut.

Either way, I want to repeat that I believe that this music is made by Boards of Canada.

I hope I didn't go overboard with the bold, italics, and underlining. It's just that I rarely get to use this website on anything other than my shitty phone. This is so much better, so much easier.

This is BOC :lol:
I wanted to post this in the Gen Spec thread but I knew I'd get shredded. But I think it's safe to tuck this in here.

love it!
also skyliner https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=994

Friendly Stranger
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:
BeachWoods wrote:This opens up interesting debates about peoples reactions to music and information though, by taking a familiar aesthetic or ‘feel’ in art or music and possibly re purposing it as your own.

In general, that could pertain to just about every musical or visual artist ever, in every genre.

Of course but we’re being specific here aren’t we?
Also it raises issues around honesty and integrity maybe.
Could I pass some work off as say for instance, Burial by adapting his whole dark U.K. garage style and aesthetic. Of course I could. Would people consume it if it was done anonymously with a back story about a forgotten or found tape/CD etc?
And I refused or was unwilling to step forward and confirm it as my own, thus continuing the mystery or deception if that’s the correct word whether intentional or not?
How would that be looked on, with adulation by fans crying out for new material looking to confirm their own honestly held beliefs and totally believing it was a ‘lost’ Burial album without explicitly mentioning his name (apart from maybe a couple of cover tracks)
Also, would there be any copyright sides around the two uncredited BOC covers/copies on the tape, is that wrong morally or property intellectually? I don’t know just I’m just playing devils advocate?
See how many of these kinds of these interesting questions it raises.
I mean it kind of detracts a little from the music, should the maker step forward and let the product stand on its own merits, or theoretically ride the coat tails of an aesthetic borrowed wholesale from another more famous act…
Questions, questions…

Posts Quantity
BeachWoods wrote:

Of course but we’re being specific here aren’t we?
Also it raises issues around honesty and integrity maybe.
Could I pass some work off as say for instance, Burial by adapting his whole dark U.K. garage style and aesthetic. Of course I could. Would people consume it if it was done anonymously with a back story about a forgotten or found tape/CD etc?
And I refused or was unwilling to step forward and confirm it as my own, thus continuing the mystery or deception if that’s the correct word whether intentional or not?
How would that be looked on, with adulation by fans crying out for new material looking to confirm their own honestly held beliefs and totally believing it was a ‘lost’ Burial album without explicitly mentioning his name (apart from maybe a couple of cover tracks)
Also, would there be any copyright sides around the two uncredited BOC covers/copies on the tape, is that wrong morally or property intellectually? I don’t know just I’m just playing devils advocate?
See how many of these kinds of these interesting questions it raises.
I mean it kind of detracts a little from the music, should the maker step forward and let the product stand on its own merits, or theoretically ride the coat tails of an aesthetic borrowed wholesale from another more famous act…
Questions, questions…

All fair points and good questions. As far as this ARG is concerned, I think whoever or whatever, will be revealed soon…(ahem, ahem BOC).

Friendly Stranger
New post on the Seeburdz Tumblr page but no links, ciphertexts or clues. The account avatar has also changed.

https://user-dbz22819.tumblr.com/post/6 ... 7889895424

Friendly Stranger
BeachWoods wrote:
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:All fair points and good questions. As far as this ARG is concerned, I think whoever or whatever, will be revealed soon…(ahem, ahem BOC).

I find it fascinating really as it bleeds almost into cultism and mass hysteria/power of persuasion.
You see, even you think its BOC but you don’t really know. It’s your honestly held belief!
Don’t get me wrong I’m not calling anyone cultists over a music video.
From my point of view and as a long time fan having pretty much all their output and having almost lived in their sound since they started on Skam, this doesn’t sound like them to me. I can see how people would believe it is them but the music just lacks their innovative twists and turns and attention to detail but what do I know!….

Eagle Minded
April 7th wrote:New post on the Seeburdz Tumblr page but no links, ciphertexts or clues. The account avatar has also changed.

https://user-dbz22819.tumblr.com/post/6 ... 7889895424

yoooo low-key dig the aestheic

BeachWoods wrote:From my point of view and as a long time fan having pretty much all their output and having almost lived in their sound since they started on Skam, this doesn’t sound like them to me. I can see how people would believe it is them but the music just lacks their innovative twists and turns and attention to detail but what do I know!….
This is exactly how I feel about it. I also think it’s about time this ARG comes to an end.

Posts Quantity
Objectively speaking, if the VHS and new added tracks is believed to be genuine, pre-Warp unreleased BOC, then the quality and veracity of the music alone needs to be judged against the sounds and instrumentation of the brothers’ early-mid 90’s sound, and not anything more polished or sophisticated appearing on the commercial releases thereafter.

From that standpoint alone, the music IMO is almost spot-on. Yes there’s some tracks that stylistically differ a little from what we’ve heard previously from that era, but in that defense, BOC is on record as saying that they’ve created unreleased music containing differing styles than what’s been released. Again, to me, we’ve haven’t heard anything quite like this since Old Tunes, Random 35 Track tape, etc., that fits so well with that era of their musical ability. And while it’s possible that it may not be them after all, it’s VERY well done regardless.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
BeachWoods wrote:From my point of view and as a long time fan having pretty much all their output and having almost lived in their sound since they started on Skam, this doesn’t sound like them to me. I can see how people would believe it is them but the music just lacks their innovative twists and turns and attention to detail but what do I know!….
This is exactly how I feel about it. I also think it’s about time this ARG comes to an end.

I can appreciate both sides of the argument. And 100% agree that this has dragged on a bit too long for my taste. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the truth will be revealed sooner rather than later since we’re converging on Record Store Day and Stargate. (Anything beyond that and I’ll go back into hibernation.)

Friendly Stranger
BOC are very easy to imitate but very hard to reproduce in their entirety and get spot on.
There's the difference.

I'm as keen as anyone else to see new material from BOC but I'm not easily convinced.

This was all a fairly simple but effective facsimile of them even if it wasn't explicitly stated.

The originators clearly jacked the whole aesthetic minus the strange innovation and melodic nous of the source material and presented it as BOC even if it wasn't explicitly stated and included two (possibly) unlicensed and unauthorised covers of two tracks on the video. All dressed in a mystery story about a found video tape It's clear what they were trying to achieve, plays, coverage and clicks.

Kudos to them though because really now anyone can potentially do the same.

Is it deception, rip off or cloning/coying/paying homage to their inspiration?
Did they put their own spin on the sound/look/feel to come up with something truly original or 'their own'
I don't know.

In other words, it's OK but not brilliant in my book, I struggle with the ethics. Is it fair play to potentially make up a story to get coverage while other musicians that work hard on their music go unheard, who is getting paid on the YouTube clicks considering there's two covers of BOC tunes on there?

Like the multiverse, the potential for similar kinds mischief is now a possibility and if it gains the makers lots of coverage/exposure and plays, who's going to turn that option down......

Eagle Minded
Brendan Standing Alone, I completely agree with you.
I missed a lot of replies so I can't respond to all of them very easily, or it would be a mess I'm sure, at least on my end.

But I'll put my two cents in here and say that what Brendan is saying is what a lot of us have been saying. There seems to be a need to compare this audio from the VHS tape with existing recordings from BOC. It sounds very old, like very early stuff. It makes sense that the quality wouldn't be there. I use the word "quality" loosely to refer to both the musical quality and the production quality.
Why should 20 or 30 year old recordings be crystal clear completed masterpieces?

Now, the fact that these are being released on YouTube instead of through some other commercial avenue, like a label, might indicate that there never will be an official BOCset release. This might be the way we get it.

This might not even be an ARG. This might literally just be a fun way for this music to be slowly spoon-fed to us fans.

Now, I must go ahead and reiterate the fact that I believe this is all BOC. Early takes and early recordings of the band, from the band. Who knows, maybe their own kids are being allowed to take part in all of this.
It's pure speculation, and if Lawrence Krauss can get away with it, then so can I :wink:

If this is somebody else, I'd be disappointed. But, be that as it may, the only issue I would have is them not making it clear who they were earlier, like before they started all of this.

I understand that everyone here has had their fair share of hoaxes and fakes, ARGs, etc. But like it was mentioned before, the same kind of sentiment surrounded other releases, commercial or not, and HexSun had to confirm.

Again, I'd like to point out that BOC keep liking tweets about new music, and we keep getting these little things. Maybe it's all related? Maybe we need to check our premises.

I noticed some audio artifacts in the latest VHS audio. One in particular occurred around 6:20 (https://youtu.be/b-3sqi2OjuE?t=377). Anyway, you can hear a tremendous cutout, click, or something that seems genuine to audio from a VHS tape. It isn't really an effect you can create without tremendous effort, but what would be the point of that?

Now let's also consider the volume of new audio. Who in the holy hell has that much time or talent, to reproduce this much content and at this rate? It seems much more likely that this stuff already existed and was just recently compiled, or at least recently 'released'.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling for now.

It looked like things were going to go down a dark road on this one and I thought it might be worth looking at it a different way. To be clear, that way is to fully fucking BELIEVE this is BOC!. 8)
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
Also, excellent find on the Skyliner bit! HOLY HELL!
Thanks, hexagonFox!
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Friendly Stranger
Sky and Trails wrote:Brendan Standing Alone,
Now, the fact that these are being released on YouTube instead of through some other commercial avenue, like a label, might indicate that there never will be an official BOCset release. This might be the way we get it.

Who in the holy hell has that much time or talent, to reproduce this much content and at this rate? It seems much more likely that this stuff already existed and was just recently compiled, or at least recently 'released'.
[/u][/i][/b]. 8)

First point, they're contractually signed to Warp records, anything has to be licensed by Warp, it's legally contractual. There's no copyright control licence marking on the video. It ain't BOC.

second point, I have around 300 or so tracks dating back to 2005.
I may or may not start doing what these people have done and upload them to Youtube.......

Posts Quantity
BeachWoods wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:Brendan Standing Alone,

Who in the holy hell has that much time or talent, to reproduce this much content and at this rate? It seems much more likely that this stuff already existed and was just recently compiled, or at least recently 'released'.
[/u][/i][/b]. 8)

First point, they're contractually signed to Warp records, anything has to be licensed by Warp, it's legally contractual. There's no copyright control licence marking on the video. It ain't BOC.

second point, I have around 300 or so tracks dating back to 2005.
I may or may not start doing what these people have done and upload them to Youtube.......

I've been listening to your tracks the last week or so. Really enjoying Free Fire Diver! The track "Rockpools" takes me places.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound