Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
oakmoss&amber wrote:I've been listening to your tracks the last week or so. Really enjoying Free Fire Diver! The track "Rockpools" takes me places.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate that and glad that you like.

For anyone still interested there's still downloads available of all them tracks in high quality MP3 format over at soundcloud just help yourselves and other stuff over on the Bandcamp that's not on soundcloud. Promotional sell over.

Look, I'm not here for an argument and if folks still beleive that video/tape/whatever is them/BOC then who am I to burst their bubble.
Crack on.

For the record I think whoever made the music has kind of painted themselves into a corner with their shenanigans. A shame...

From my perspective it's been fascinating watching the furore, but it's ultimately made me think and given me some really cool positive ideas which I'm gonna assimilate Borg like and work on over the course of the summer.
I never truly realised the full power of YouTube until now.
Music and images have a hugely powerful nostalgic pull, and far more effective than any soundcloud/bandcamp/spotify/reddit combo.

Especially to generate interest and draw in new listeners to your music.
The possibilities are endless.
So I really want to thank the folks that did that because they've just inadvertently created Frankensteins monster.

So it's all good.

Sail we may, fail we must.......

BeachWoods wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:Brendan Standing Alone,
Now, the fact that these are being released on YouTube instead of through some other commercial avenue, like a label, might indicate that there never will be an official BOCset release. This might be the way we get it.

Who in the holy hell has that much time or talent, to reproduce this much content and at this rate? It seems much more likely that this stuff already existed and was just recently compiled, or at least recently 'released'. 8)

First point, they're contractually signed to Warp records, anything has to be licensed by Warp, it's legally contractual. There's no copyright control licence marking on the video. It ain't BOC.
Now that’s pretty conclusive I’d say. :idea:

Let’s also not forget this 2013 quote:
A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time. We’ve been working on new music all the time throughout this, so we have a lot of material to wade through.
source: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Brothers_Who_ ... ca_by_Hand

They don’t seem to have the intention to make their older work public. Just for themselves really and their kids later on. I’d say this makes it highly unlikely the VHS Tape, and especially how it’s presented, is actually by BoC.

Boqurant
Hi all, first time poster. Just been following this thread and I figured I’d chime in. I think it’s BOC. The profile pic on the missing tracks archive says tape 1 of 14. My guess is there are 14 tapes out there with BOC mixes made up of their old demos etc. hence the “missing” part of the title…

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
BeachWoods wrote:
Sky and Trails wrote:Brendan Standing Alone,
Now, the fact that these are being released on YouTube instead of through some other commercial avenue, like a label, might indicate that there never will be an official BOCset release. This might be the way we get it.

Who in the holy hell has that much time or talent, to reproduce this much content and at this rate? It seems much more likely that this stuff already existed and was just recently compiled, or at least recently 'released'. 8)

First point, they're contractually signed to Warp records, anything has to be licensed by Warp, it's legally contractual. There's no copyright control licence marking on the video. It ain't BOC.
Now that’s pretty conclusive I’d say. :idea:

Let’s also not forget this 2013 quote:
A couple of years ago we decided to start collating and cataloging all our early recordings, just for ourselves really, to know that we could tidy it all up and hand it on to our kids someday, but there are literally thousands of tracks going way back into the ’80s. It’s a huge task, and this just seemed to eat up time. We’ve been working on new music all the time throughout this, so we have a lot of material to wade through.
source: https://bocpages.org/wiki/Brothers_Who_ ... ca_by_Hand

They don’t seem to have the intention to make their older work public. Just for themselves really and their kids later on. I’d say this makes it highly unlikely the VHS Tape, and especially how it’s presented, is actually by BoC.

I think many fans got hung up on the way the VHS tape story was concocted and presented as being a thrift store find. For many the buck stopped there and the music was not even considered. Others used that point to more quickly dismiss the music. I still have issue with it since the story still seems so amateurish. But here’s a credible scenario that could fill some loop-holes: a lot of time has passed since BOC supposedly created music for family and friends only, that they never intended to publicaly release. Due to the amount of time that has passed, it’s completely feasible that one of these tapes has passed on to someone who was not directly connected to the brothers’ from those days. Now me personally, if I ever had such a treasure in my possession, I’d have to find a clever way to release this publicly but done in a way to distance myself from the tape, to free myself from any liability or legal action from Hexagon Sun or Warp. If that were the case, I’d have to think of some half-ass backstory to somehow legitimize the release. Then you get the channel being deleted and even the guy trying to remaster the tracks for profit. Improbable, probably. But impossible, no.
Last edited by Brendan Standing Alone on Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Friendly Stranger
When they release their next lp in 2023 and it doesn't happen, the cataclysmic amount of tears from fans will flood the world and bring forth life from the ground to supplement everyone.........

Friendly Stranger
PS, it was Marcus in the kitchen with the candlestick :-P

Posts Quantity
While I love the debate, my question to forum members here who are quick to dismiss the VHS tracks as fake: how pissed will they be IF it turns out that these are in fact BOC’s long-fabled back catalog tracks after all?

Me personally: great if it is, great if it isn’t. Doesn’t change anything in my life other than enjoying some new music.

Friendly Stranger
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:While I love the debate, my question to forum members here who are quick to dismiss the VHS tracks as fake: how pissed will they be IF it turns out that these are in fact BOC’s long-fabled back catalog tracks after all?

Me personally: great if it is, great if it isn’t. Doesn’t change anything in my life other than enjoying some new music.

Theoretically though, anyone with a bit of nous could solve this fairly quickly by just asking Warp records or Twittering (Twottering?) or whatever you do direct to BOC on twitter.

Worth a try innit?

Posts Quantity
BeachWoods wrote:
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:While I love the debate, my question to forum members here who are quick to dismiss the VHS tracks as fake: how pissed will they be IF it turns out that these are in fact BOC’s long-fabled back catalog tracks after all?

Theoretically though, anyone with a bit of nous could solve this fairly quickly by just asking Warp records or Twittering (Twottering?) or whatever you do direct to BOC on twitter.

Worth a try innit?

Exactly. Based on how Hexagon Sun threatened to cease and desist with the guy who leaked the Old Tunes stuff, forcing BOC to admit it’s legitimacy, we need someone to try the same here -hehe.

Eagle Minded
I totally get where you're coming from, Fredd-E, with the licensing and contract.
This is why I feel, and it looks like Brendan is saying the same thing, that this is the way to release those tracks we've all wanted to hear.

As a product, I think a BOCset would be one of those things some executive-type would decide against because it wouldn't make enough money. But for the fans, if you have to inject it into them, go for it. Even if it's via this VHS tape saga.

I will die on this hill!
:wink:
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Eagle Minded
BeachWoods wrote:

Worth a try innit?

I fucking love that word! "nous"
I had to look it up. Consider it a part of my vocab now. :)

And your idea is great.
Can't we just call up Warp and ask, "What the fuck is up with BOC?"

I find it strange that everything connected with them has this weird feeling of being off limits, if that makes sense.
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Sky and Trails wrote:
BeachWoods wrote:
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:I find it strange that everything connected with them has this weird feeling of being off limits, if that makes sense.

That’s because their music is out of this world and we’re just mere earthlings.

Dayvan Cowboy
Here's my theory guys: This all started back in 2013 when a humble anonymous artist called Chameleon credited his track to BOC on itunes. There was a bit of a hubbub but MDG dismissed it and BOC posted the infamous Diet Coke Green Screen Failure post.

Receiving such a bad reaction from his heroes broke Chameleon's heart. It was the equivalent of Mr. incredible rejecting Incrediboy.

Chameleon wasnt deterred however. He spent years planning his comeback, taking nearly as long as his heroes to return. In 2022, Chameleon launched his new bio weapon the lost VHS tape. He now had a new goal in mind. He would be the new BOC album and so would everyone else. His belief: "When everyones BOC no one will be."

Enjoy my fanfiction guys ;)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Dayvan Cowboy
Echelon wrote:Here's my theory guys: This all started back in 2013 when a humble anonymous artist called Chameleon credited his track to BOC on itunes. There was a bit of a hubbub but MDG dismissed it and BOC posted the infamous Diet Coke Green Screen Failure post.

Receiving such a bad reaction from his heroes broke Chameleon's heart. It was the equivalent of Mr. incredible rejecting Incrediboy.

Chameleon wasnt deterred however. He spent years planning his comeback, taking nearly as long as his heroes to return. In 2022, Chameleon launched his new bio weapon the lost VHS tape. He now had a new goal in mind. He would be the new BOC album and so would everyone else. His belief: "When everyones BOC no one will be."

Enjoy my fanfiction guys ;)

Sounds like a thrilling movie plot, the saddest thing is... I'd go to see that movie. :oops:

Boqurant
I think many fans got hung up on the way the VHS tape story was concocted and presented as being a thrift store find. For many the buck stopped there and the music was not even considered. Others used that point to more quickly dismiss the music.

Thats true, the “found VHS” aspect is so on the nose that it seems like a red flag. But I’ve listened to these recordings probably a dozen times now, and I keep coming back. Really has me wondering who the artist is. They fit in with old tunes era recordings perfectly IMO.

Dayvan Cowboy
Thanks OB. It was pure silliness though I stole it from the Incredibles.

It's also in good fun. I really don't care about this one way or the other but I wanted to reference the legendary Chameleon. But who knows. Maybe with Stargate the truth will come out ;)
Warning: This numerology post is not to be taken 2 seriously.

Eagle Minded
Crandle Dandle Doo, That's what I always say!!!

Friendly Stranger
Just catching up on the latest.

So originally there was no evidence linking Channel 4226 to the original thrift store vid but now after these links to the Eleven missing tracks vid it's a lot more believable that they are from the same source? Still not 100% proven yet the style is identical.

It's great tunes whoever it is. And a lot of dedication. Can tell by that playlist they are old school.

Friendly Stranger
Ps What if the playlist is a code?
And some of those images on seeburds seem to have text on them, I tried messing around with photoshop didn't help much

Boqurant
hexagonFox wrote:can't remember if the two are related but Sequoia Films just deleted their channel

Someone has just re-upped one of the Sequoia vids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7J2BJXJU8

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound