Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
SonnyJim wrote:Just catching up on the latest.

So originally there was no evidence linking Channel 4226 to the original thrift store vid but now after these links to the Eleven missing tracks vid it's a lot more believable that they are from the same source? Still not 100% proven yet the style is identical.

It's great tunes whoever it is. And a lot of dedication. Can tell by that playlist they are old school.

I think Channel 4226 came to the attention of those following this after it left a comment on Dan Fingerman's reupload of the tape. The first video on Channel 4226, and the description for that video, contains a coded URL for the Channel Onesixtyfive video, which gives coordinates for the thrift store where the tape was said to be found.

The channel Onesixtyfive video alluded to something happening April 7th. That day a second video appeared on Channel 4226, which contained a link for the Seeburdz Tumblr account where the link for the Eleven Missing Tracks video was eventually shared.

I think the original uploader gave the address for the thrift store. Dan Fingerman might have shared that in an early comment on the reupload of the tape. I seem to remember the Channel Onesixtyfive video coordinates being in agreement with that.

That is assuming there ever was a VHS tape in a thrift store. I think it is unlikely that whoever is behind these coded messages has been operating independently of the original uploader.

Dayvan Cowboy
A certain David Firth offered his opinion of the tape in the reupload's comment section. :wink:

I do agree with him that the music should stand on it's own, just good sounds that should be merited for being purely that.

It's been insightful to hear so many people's perspectives.

Boqurant
The artist who made salad fingers? Beware the friendly stranger heh heh

Sherbet Head
It's not even great music.
i'M aLSo SerViNG tHEsTATpOW a wARnINg

Friendly Stranger
TheStatPow wrote:It's not even great music.

This is probably the most accurate statement in the whole debate…..

Posts Quantity
Damn breh. You really gonna talk about boc’s music like that?

Sherbet Head
oakmoss&amber wrote:
Damn breh. You really gonna talk about boc’s music like that?

I kept it short because it isn't them.

Would have shat on it 10x more if it had been them.

It's like going to a fast food and getting a shitty hamburger, disappointing but to be expected.

If I go to a 5 star restaurant and I get served that crap? Plates will go flying.
i'M aLSo SerViNG tHEsTATpOW a wARnINg

Posts Quantity
i love what the uploader has posted so far

Eagle Minded
At first I was hesitant, but I really like it now and keep coming back to it, it only adds more to BOCs enigmatic vibe even if it is not them. Kinda totally dig 11 missing tracks. I want to know more about the og poster. There is some pretty stuff on these tapes

Friendly Stranger
Something which seems at odds with Boards of Canada being behind these recordings is the American influence in the samples, footage and even the format of the date in the first Tumblr page clue. The TV excepts included on the Old Tunes tapes were from British television.

Posts Quantity
I have a few questions about this though. (minus some of the unconfirmed ARG codes, videos, etc). Where is the confirmation? Please don’t say that they have better things to do. YouTube has such a powerful way of spreading all types of information. Have you noticed how popular this VHS anomaly has become? I have a friend that listens to totally different music than me and cringes when I even mention boc to him. He had it pop up on his YouTube and was like “Hey, there’s some boc on a vhs or something” little does he know how invested I have been in this weeks before he saw it - I figure if it has received this much attention being intertwined with them, where is MDG? Where is Warp saying “calm down”? I mean, something.

At the time that I write this, there are 141,000 views and 1,044 comments on the Thrift Store-found VHS tape with weird music on it, which I guarantee will climb substantially even more in the days and weeks to come. I listened to it last night and it was at 130,000 views. 11,000 views in less than 12 hours? The fact it has gained this much traction validates that a majority of folks seem to enjoy this mix, whoever it may be. I am just curious where the confirmation that this is NOT boc is at. It has been over a month.

Plus, there are a shit ton of comments of people saying stuff along the lines of “I don’t know who this “Boards of Canada” is, but I am thankful for this mix leading me to them”. I don't think they would mind the new fans and traffic to witness something that they might do soon. *Stargate / Infinito Audio* - my point is that a lot of people (new and old fans) have really gravitated towards the VHS tape and with all of this being so popular, why has HS not acknowledged it to us? Kinda screwy if ya ask me. I am willing to bet they know about it.

Either the artist(s) want to remain enigmatic, or these tracks are remnants of Boards of Canada, like it or not.

Do I believe this is the pathway to LP5 by boc? No. Do I believe it has something to do with boc? Yes. It will most likely remain obscure but if it is found to be mischief and deception, I will happily eat my words.

Eagle Minded
yea that's a good point, shouldn't it have been squashed by now??

also what's with the obvious description, its almost so obviously crafted it seems like a "humor joke" a joke on a joke if you follow.
I think Op knew his story he crafted would quickly be called bullshit, and I think he did it intentionally.
Id like to think it was to push the true fans away so alarm bells dont start ringing off.
So newly birthed boc fans can have a sip at the tit unknowingly before the hungry thick boys come a runninnn.
I dont know what that means, take that what ever direction you gentlemen desire
but it sure drew attention and hype.
and
we will never
ever
never ever never
know unless mgd squashy or boc squishy

New Seed
Mmmmm... squishy boccy teat.

Eagle Minded
MrDimus wrote:Mmmmm... squishy boccy teat.

mhmm squishyyy squish
very yes nice things

Friendly Stranger
A new post has appeared on the Seeburdz Tumblr account.

https://user-dbz22819.tumblr.com/post/6 ... ther-tapes

Boqurant

Friendly Stranger
I don't think this is Boards of Canada. The latest upload sounds like 18 carat affair with a shoegaze influence.

Posts Quantity
It's really necessary to use that clouds for every video?

I believe that the first tape and the new ones being uploaded on another channel were not made by the same person.

Besides this arg doesn't seem to have gotten anywhere, a lot of information and things that still don't seem to make sense, which reminds me of the Sheol Boundary channel, where there's so much evidence that indicates it has a chance to be real, that this situation of the tape only point to evidence that does not fully connect.

I liked the songs from the first tape, the others from this new channel didn't, it seems like an imitation of the imitation.

What I want most is for this to end, for someone to reveal who did all this, if it's really just one person or another person posing as the person who uploaded the first tape.

Anyway, it was good to see how far this situation has come, soon the reupload will reach 1 million views, which for content that has Boards of Canada Covers is quite rare actually, but what's the benefit of that all if no one will know the creator of it? you had a chance to get a little famous, but you stayed anonymous.

The only positive point of all this is that we will probably have new fans being introduced to the Boards of Canada, although in a very unusual way.

Friendly Stranger
Perhaps it's been Mister 8 all along.

Boqurant
So from the text on tumblr they mention “the other tapes out there” and the label on the tape in the profile image in Missing Tracks Archive “demo tracks Tape 1 of 14 various years 1989 to 1997” I think this adds a fair bit if weight to the idea there are more of these tapes out there. Most likely the ones pictured in the same profile pic.
I enjoyed the new music this morning, ties in with some of what they’ve previously said about their old music

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound