Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Posts Quantity
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:So from the text on tumblr they mention “the other tapes out there” and the label on the tape in the profile image in Missing Tracks Archive “demo tracks Tape 1 of 14 various years 1989 to 1997” I think this adds a fair bit if weight to the idea there are more of these tapes out there. Most likely the ones pictured in the same profile pic.
I enjoyed the new music this morning, ties in with some of what they’ve previously said about their old music

Sorry to all the doubters (and angry plate throwers) here, but I think the longer this goes on and more music is revealed, it will turn out to be BOC after all.
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Boqurant
karpeggi wrote:https://youtu.be/yQpyBYNm3FA

This YouTube account isn’t going to turn out to be operated by Boards of Canada. It has a playlist called “music favs” with tracks by Alice in Chains, Corrosion of Conformity and Celtic Frost. It does have a couple of Doxa Sinistra tracks, but in general it’s a playlist that looks like it was compiled by an American fan rather than the Boards.

Boqurant
A comment on the thrift store tape - there is audio distortion on the tracks that sounds like tape flutter or degradation, but no corresponding visual distortion to the cloud pictures - suggests intentional plug in degradation rather than due to this being an old tape

Boqurant
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:So from the text on tumblr they mention “the other tapes out there” and the label on the tape in the profile image in Missing Tracks Archive “demo tracks Tape 1 of 14 various years 1989 to 1997” I think this adds a fair bit if weight to the idea there are more of these tapes out there. Most likely the ones pictured in the same profile pic.
I enjoyed the new music this morning, ties in with some of what they’ve previously said about their old music

Sorry to all the doubters (and angry plate throwers) here, but I think the longer this goes on and more music is revealed, it will turn out to be BOC after all.

I’m quite confident this is BOC. If you follow the line backwards through the development of their music and you factor in what they’ve said about their influences when they first started making music you’d eventually reach the music on these mixes. You can hear the beginnings of all the BOC tropes. It sits really comfortably next to Hi Scores in terms of programming and production

Boqurant
Burning Shadow wrote:
karpeggi wrote:https://youtu.be/yQpyBYNm3FA

This YouTube account isn’t going to turn out to be operated by Boards of Canada. It has a playlist called “music favs” with tracks by Alice in Chains, Corrosion of Conformity and Celtic Frost. It does have a couple of Doxa Sinistra tracks, but in general it’s a playlist that looks like it was compiled by an American fan rather than the Boards.

That playlist makes it more likely it’s BOC. They’ve listed their influences in interviews before and constantly stress that they don’t see themselves as an electronic act. There was the mixtape that had John Denver and Joni Mitchell on it, they’ve name-checked MBV and shoegaze too

Boqurant
And if it was BoC I would have expected to see Joni Mitchell and John Denver. That playlist does have a superficial Boards feel, but for all it contains alternative acts, it tends towards the mainstream.

Friendly Stranger
Something else which does seem at odds with this being Boards of Canada is the VHS format. I'm no expert on things like this but wouldn't BOC more likely have used DAT? Even if they didn't back up on DAT, there are no DAT cassettes in the image the Missing Tracks Archive header was taken from.

https://user-dbz22819.tumblr.com/post/6 ... ks-archive

Boqurant
April 7th wrote:Something else which does seem at odds with this being Boards of Canada is the VHS format. I'm no expert on things like this but wouldn't BOC more likely have used DAT? Even if they didn't back up on DAT, there are no DAT cassettes in the image the Missing Tracks Archive header was taken from.

https://user-dbz22819.tumblr.com/post/6 ... ks-archive

I’m not sure they’re trying to pass these tapes off as things they did in the past. I think they had all this old music and thought “these aren’t finished enough to release individually, but if we take the best bits and make a few mixes out of them, they’ll sound pretty damned good” then they put the tapes together with some vintage footage and put them into the wild for people to find. One of the first videos said something about finding gps coordinates, I’m still thinking there’s more actual tapes they’ve released in the wild. It’s a bit like the old tomorrow’s harvest campaign, but with more hand-made treasure to find

Posts Quantity
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:One of the first videos said something about finding gps coordinates, I’m still thinking there’s more actual tapes they’ve released in the wild. It’s a bit like the old tomorrow’s harvest campaign, but with more hand-made treasure to find

We still have this channel, too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC19hPPCosua-QRqTnP7XwSA

I believe some of the codes found in "Seek" from Channel Onesixtyfive and "Next" from Channel 4226 lead elsewhere that we have yet to discover. There is definitely more to this.

Dayvan Cowboy
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:
Brendan Standing Alone wrote:
Electronaldmcdonald2 wrote:I think the longer this goes on and more music is revealed, it will turn out to be BOC after all.

I’m quite confident this is BOC. If you follow the line backwards through the development of their music and you factor in what they’ve said about their influences when they first started making music you’d eventually reach the music on these mixes. You can hear the beginnings of all the BOC tropes. It sits really comfortably next to Hi Scores in terms of programming and production

Thing is though, as easy as it is for us to follow that line backwards, it's just as easy for someone making fakes to. There are no surprises in these tapes. There's nothing in there that isn't something that hasn't been hinted at by BOC at one point or another. It smells like someone working backwards from what we already know it's "supposed" to be.

There's also no hidden gems, nothing that makes you say "holy shit how did this not make the cut for an album". I mean it's alright, for a random unknown it's good even, but for BOC? It's all *at best* b grade material even against r35 or the old tunes.

Compare and contrast it with the Aphex SoundCloud which had some amazing surprises and experiments and stuff that was better than some of his released stuff.

Not trying to dump shade on it, enjoy it for what it is, have fun with the breadcrumb trail from video to video but come on... It's not them. You'd *know* if it was

Boqurant
Theres all the other early BOC albums that never got released. Like boc maxima, a few old tunes etc. That would account for all the unreleased gold. They might be holding that back for another commercial release? That would just leave all the old versions of tracks and this would be a clever way to capitalise on what might be percieved as a bit extreme if they released them all. They said these mixes are for the “small niche” of people that would be interested.
I’m a big Syd Barrett fan, and they’ve released every single take that he recorded. It’s a bit wearying to hear them all

Dayvan Cowboy
I am neither confirming nor denying the legitimacy of the tape (and this ARG saga in general) but this is surely worth bearing in mind, isn't it?

mondaffe wrote:Interesting that if you Google the channel name UC0lL5hMzu0LkkKrw91GZd3Q, you get an alternative title and tracklist in the cache

https://www.google.com/search?q=UC0lL5h ... e&ie=UTF-8

Strange Soup

Tracklist:
1. Intro
2. Eureka
3. Tilt-a-whirl
4. Lunardreamz
5. Cytosine
6. Kaleidoscope
7. Fractal
8. Raindancer
9. 9teen70
10. Untitled

Boqurant
Burning Shadow wrote:A comment on the thrift store tape - there is audio distortion on the tracks that sounds like tape flutter or degradation, but no corresponding visual distortion to the cloud pictures - suggests intentional plug in degradation rather than due to this being an old tape

Also the beach scene had audio of people talking in the hint video while the same clip has music behind it in the second missing tracks video.

Boqurant
Not sure if this has any hidden meaning or not. In the last video there’s a brief image with text just after the eyes disappear. It’s almost impossible to make out but it says something like Public Access Television, Northern Broadcast Alliance, and at the bottom of the screen, Information Board 815 Bay Area

Boqurant
Orbited insanitarium wrote:I am neither confirming nor denying the legitimacy of the tape (and this ARG saga in general) but this is surely worth bearing in mind, isn't it?

mondaffe wrote:Interesting that if you Google the channel name UC0lL5hMzu0LkkKrw91GZd3Q, you get an alternative title and tracklist in the cache

https://www.google.com/search?q=UC0lL5h ... e&ie=UTF-8

Strange Soup

Tracklist:
1. Intro
2. Eureka
3. Tilt-a-whirl
4. Lunardreamz
5. Cytosine
6. Kaleidoscope
7. Fractal
8. Raindancer
9. 9teen70
10. Untitled

Absolutely!

I also enjoyed how the last post on seeburdz acknowledged the scumbag trying to copyright and sell the tunes. whoever’s posting the music should have just copyrighted it though.

Eagle Minded
I just wanted to say that the following track is fucking amazing.
I only hope I made the link correctly since I'm using my phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=784
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Posts Quantity
Sky and Trails wrote:I just wanted to say that the following track is fucking amazing.
I only hope I made the link correctly since I'm using my phone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=784

(Can’t get the link to open. Resend.)
I remember witnessing the last great cataclysm.

Friendly Stranger
Two things:

(1) Is anyone else getting a particularly sinister vibe from the Eleven Missing Tracks video? My mind goes to a bad place whenever I see a video with no provenance whatsoever with creepy visuals, and it really puts me on edge, wondering how it was put together and whatever happened to the people seen in the video. I might just be crazy—I've often thought that—and I'm just wondering what other people's overall impressions are of the video, regardless of whether it's by BoC or not.

(2) The Missing Tracks Archive channel just uploaded another video within the past day and I'm afraid to listen to it.
ἱμείρω ἡσυχίας

Posts Quantity
https://youtu.be/k-nGUSwRLlI

New upload by Channel 4226

20 8 9 19

Posts Quantity
https://youtu.be/CXXOcLvGJyI

Another one by Channel Onesixtyfive

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound