Strange Soup/The Thrift Store Tape Discussion

Discussions related to music in general.

Moderators: Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Friendly Stranger
Where are the other 14(?) tapes. Were there any clues, or leads, hidden somewhere? Or is this a dead end now? Can we piece this puzzle together? Seems like their should be more. Gotta find them. Where would they be?
The Winds of Aquarius are upon you

Posts Quantity
Saturn_Ascending wrote:Where are the other 14(?) tapes. Were there any clues, or leads, hidden somewhere? Or is this a dead end now? Can we piece this puzzle together? Seems like their should be more. Gotta find them. Where would they be?

I'm starting to believe desfax, the vhs anomaly, and sequoia films are all connected. Looking in to this further, I remember the "supdudes" user that posted the original thrift store vhs in the general speculation thread and that was on 3/22/2022.

desfax emailed 3 links (https://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14955&start=60 to Sky and Trails that included gps coordinates to Blanca Colorado of an old red Ford and RV - similar to the one at the Tomorrow's Harvest listening party. If you search Blanca CO population, 322.

Sequoia Films had a live stream titled "Random 23 Tracks" with music from the VHS tape.
Sequoia Films self destructs and along with it, all of the associated VHS channels.
Desfax has disappeared and as I called it, supdudes has totally vanished. All of these seem to have happened and "ended" at the same time.

I have tried all of the links that were broken mid-way through this ARG. I'm stumped. Wish there was some sort of clarity.

Agree there is most likely more.

Posts Quantity
Saturn_Ascending wrote:Gotta find them. Where would they be?

Nice choice of words.

phpBB [media]

Eagle Minded
oakmoss&amber wrote:
Saturn_Ascending wrote:Where are the other 14(?) tapes. Were there any clues, or leads, hidden somewhere? Or is this a dead end now? Can we piece this puzzle together? Seems like their should be more. Gotta find them. Where would they be?

I'm starting to believe desfax, the vhs anomaly, and sequoia films are all connected. Looking in to this further, I remember the "supdudes" user that posted the original thrift store vhs in the general speculation thread and that was on 3/22/2022.

desfax emailed 3 links (https://www.twoism.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14955&start=60 to Sky and Trails that included gps coordinates to Blanca Colorado of an old red Ford and RV - similar to the one at the Tomorrow's Harvest listening party. If you search Blanca CO population, 322.

Sequoia Films had a live stream titled "Random 23 Tracks" with music from the VHS tape.
Sequoia Films self destructs and along with it, all of the associated VHS channels.
Desfax has disappeared and as I called it, supdudes has totally vanished. All of these seem to have happened and "ended" at the same time.

I have tried all of the links that were broken mid-way through this ARG. I'm stumped. Wish there was some sort of clarity.

why isn't anyone talking about this stuff!?!?!

Friendly Stranger
oakmoss&amber wrote:
Saturn_Ascending wrote:Gotta find them. Where would they be?

Nice choice of words.

phpBB [media]

Thank you. Hoping somebody would recognize them. I wanted to ask about that specific video too. That scene we see may be, or not be, in Florida. G _ _ _ _ _ _ _ F _ _ _ _ _ _ = 7 6. This scene is also included in Eleven Missing tracks. And perhaps one another place where you see rides of some sort, and perhaps a carousel I think.

Friendly Stranger
hexagonFox wrote:
oakmoss&amber wrote:

why isn't anyone talking about this stuff!?!?!

I agree! We need to use our collective minds to figure out this mystery.

Posts Quantity
Saturn_Ascending wrote:That scene we see may be, or not be, in Florida. G _ _ _ _ _ _ _ F _ _ _ _ _ _ = 7 6. This scene is also included in Eleven Missing tracks. And perhaps one another place where you see rides of some sort, and perhaps a carousel I think.

I live in Florida and these are 8 lettered cities that start with G that are coastal or close to coastal towns:

Goodland
Gonzalez
Goulding
Gulfport

Dayvan Cowboy
Surely it's not numbers of letters, G is just the 7th letter of the alphabet. F is the 6th. GF=76

Dayvan Cowboy
I don't think Supdudes had any hidden intention for mentioning the tape, in fact from this post he was rightfully peeved.

supdudes wrote:Man sometimes I get really sad at what this forum has become :( (yes I realize I'm going to get attacked for this)...

I've been a BOC fan since the 90's, and I've avidly followed the online discussion since the beginning. Heck I even remember pre-bocpages when it was some just guy aggregating all the conspiracy theories in a document after Geogaddi ended up on Rhapsody.

In the beginning, it seemed like all the discussion was open-minded exploration of *the music.* Whether it was a confirmed BOC release or not, people would talk about the songs they loved, run stuff through spectograms looking for clues, try to make sense out of track lengths and samples, and just overall have fun engaging in the mystery that surrounded BOC.

Now all anyone does is debate whether something is fake or not. I posted this video in the "New Release" thread because it piqued my interest and was the most authentic sounding leak I've since the tapes. Sure enough, immediately everyone jumped on me with suspicion. Why did I post it? What was my motive? Someone said "I have some explaining to do." Someone else bemoaned the lengths the hoaxers go to in order to get noticed. It was just so much complaining and talking about issues surrounding the music rather than talking about the music itself. Since this was posted, 95% of the discussion about this video has been suspicion, disbelief, skepticism, and a host of other negatively-framed reactions. Every post is whether someone thinks it's fake or whether someone thinks it's authentic. Only a small minority of posts have actually involved discussing (*gasp*) the music itself, or the track titles, or what it could all mean.

BOC is a group that is inseparable from mystery and conspiracy. That is their essence. Focusing on whether something is authentic or not totally misses the point. They have created such an incredible experience filled with endless mysteries and clues to explore. I miss when people actually explored those clues, and kept an open mind, and had fun doing it.

Sorry... /rant.

Anyway... total runtime 42:26 = next release 4/2/26 see you all there.

If my brain isn't failing me, the tape was first mentioned here by babylulu.
babylulu wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJxgXDT_ps

Has this been talked about yet? It is supposedly a random tape found at a thrift store by a worker, there are multiple Boards songs on it. Different versions of Boards songs. Boqurant, XYZ, Seeya Later.. could this be legitimate?

I'd like to bury this topic myself, but there isn't any harm in continuing on. :)
I would be interested to see if you lot discover anything else additionally. Even though I'm keeping with the gut instinct that this is now over.

Posts Quantity
Negamuse wrote:Surely it's not numbers of letters, G is just the 7th letter of the alphabet. F is the 6th. GF=76

While this is true, the original video description was exactly how Saturn_Ascending put it. G_ _ _ _ _ _ _ F_ _ _ _ _ _ = 7 6

One would guess that you would fill in the _'s with other letters.

Eagle Minded
This one still hasn't resolved!

Okay, so in my opinion, the VHS stuff might possibly be related to Sequoia films. I've changed my mind a little on this, thinking previously that they were heavily linked, BUT, Sequoia doesn't provide any new music, unless I'm mistaken. Am I? I need to know!

But the VHS tape and the Missing Tracks stuff, THAT IS DEFINITELY BOARDS OF CANADA

Here's the other thing...IF, and I mean IF, it isn't BoC then I will hunt the creator to the ends of this Earth in search of more amazing music.
This stuff was the absolute best stuff I've heard in a long time, as far as old tunes goes.

I hear artifacts in the VHS and Missing Tracks music that can only be described as "audio recorded onto a fucking VHS tape a long time ago". All of the tunes that are variations of BoC tunes sound exactly as you would expect the early stages to sound.

I think all of the Twitter stuff, the likes or whatever, has been Boc answering the question: Are you going to release something?
And each damned time it's some of this stuff. I think maybe this was just a cool thing to do. They release some old stuff of theirs, stuff the fans would love.

Now, I agree with one of the above comments by 'supdudes' about the absolute shit-ton of negativity in response to stuff like this.
I don't really get it. Something cool shows up so among the awesome excitement there are others that ride on this weird boat of snobbish doubt and pessimism. Maybe it's just harder for some people; maybe they've been let down too many times. I know many people have been dragged through the much with a lot of fakes, so I get that.

But this stuff....

lt's Canadian Boards, all the way.

Perhaps that's why we don't get to know the creator.

(Hey creator...send me more please!)
Sirens calling out catastrophe, waves of mourning rippling through hillsides, an exodus for us all

Friendly Stranger
No resolution(revolution cult48), until the tapes, if they truly exist, are found. When the numbers that were included in the GF=76 video description box are input into a numbers to letters cipher this word is returned: g p s f t i b e p x. I spaced out the letters. From there I don't know what to do, or where to go. Except to you.

Boqurant
Where do the letters "g p s f t i b e p x" come from? I assume GPS is referring to a location but not sure about the rest.

Dayvan Cowboy
Saturn_Ascending wrote:No resolution(revolution cult48), until the tapes, if they truly exist, are found. When the numbers that were included in the GF=76 video description box are input into a numbers to letters cipher this word is returned: g p s f t i b e p x. I spaced out the letters. From there I don't know what to do, or where to go. Except to you.

Take one letter away from each letter and it spells out FORESHADOW

Happy Cycler
Negamuse wrote:
Saturn_Ascending wrote:No resolution(revolution cult48), until the tapes, if they truly exist, are found. When the numbers that were included in the GF=76 video description box are input into a numbers to letters cipher this word is returned: g p s f t i b e p x. I spaced out the letters. From there I don't know what to do, or where to go. Except to you.

SHEDONEIT.
Okay...now...wait for fog machine.

Dayvan Cowboy
Jonse wrote:
Negamuse wrote:

SHEDONEIT.

TOTALLYTRUEDAT.

Friendly Stranger
Negamuse wrote:

Good job! Need to fill in those empty spaces now. Seven after G, and six after F. Thirteen. How does foreshadow relate?

Dayvan Cowboy
Could be (something) forward, perhaps? If it's related.

Posts Quantity
Sky and Trails wrote:Okay, so in my opinion, the VHS stuff might possibly be related to Sequoia films. I've changed my mind a little on this, thinking previously that they were heavily linked, BUT, Sequoia doesn't provide any new music, unless I'm mistaken. Am I? I need to know!

I remember to see a comment of Sequoia Films on this video when it was released, it says that he make fan made videos of boards of canada and invite people to see the channel (something like this probably).

Before the channel was deleted i saw the videos he posted and the fan made videos are the same as in the Sequoia Old Tape video.

Also he posted some films and the Random 23 Tracks Tape video days before the channel disappear.

phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger
Wonder why no one's gone back to that thrift store in PA to have a look.

PreviousNext

Return to This Random Sound