GENERAL NEW RELEASE SPECULATION TOPIC

Everything related to our favorite Scottish duo.

Moderators: mdg, Mexicola, 2020k, Fredd-E, Aesthetics

Davism wrote:That being said, if there's no movement from them by the time October rolls around, 2024 is cooked.

Since 2022 the average waiting days between Warp announcing an album and its release is 60 days.
We can scrap December with regards to album announcements/releases. Always a dead period.
We need an announcement end of this month followed by a release 60 days later end of November.

If not? It's not looking that great anymore for 2024.

But there's always 2025! If we count Twoism (1995) as their official start it will be their 30th anniversary.

Friendly Stranger
Probability

What is the probability of Boards of Canada releasing a new album? There are 3 serious scenarios i consider in the release of a new album.

1. They will never release a new album...and instead Boards of Canada have turned complete trolls and find some sort of strange humour in perpetuating the growing self torment of their growing fan base. I'd put this at about 76% probability.

OR

2. It's going to be announced any day now, 1% Chance

3. 23% chance they're making music for the infowars team and Alex Jones.

Eagle Minded
The Bocset will always be Schrodinger's Bocset to me. It both exists and doesn't exist. It's real and not real. Both releasing and not releasing. It's archival stuff, it's the main releases, it's Old Tunes remasters, it's the mythical five, it's DVD Blu Rays, art books, Kaleidoscopes, B-Sides, Remixes, Mixtapes its....

It's Schrodinger's Bocset baby 8)

Posts Quantity
my only wish for the Bocset is this

outtakes from the studio album recordings. outtakes from MHTRTC, from Geogaddi, from TCH, from TH

if that was all the set was i would be happy

New Seed
J.Jardine wrote:Probability

What is the probability of Boards of Canada releasing a new album? There are 3 serious scenarios i consider in the release of a new album.

1. They will never release a new album...and instead Boards of Canada have turned complete trolls and find some sort of strange humour in perpetuating the growing self torment of their growing fan base. I'd put this at about 76% probability.

OR

I like your thinking with that last one, so here’s my take on the 3rd theory:
BoC are writing for and funding extreme political commentators of all viewpoints to create more drama. More world conflict = better inspiration. Geogaddi was impacted by 9/11, and that’s considered a fantastic album. I think we’ll see LP5 after shit really hits the fan!

Posts Quantity
ImageImageImage

Dayvan Cowboy
mmmidwesttt wrote:

OR

BoC are writing for and funding extreme political commentators of all viewpoints to create more drama. More world conflict = better inspiration. Geogaddi was impacted by 9/11, and that’s considered a fantastic album. I think we’ll see LP5 after shit really hits the fan!
I hope you're joking.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.

Rodox Head

New Seed
rodox_head wrote:
mmmidwesttt wrote:

OR

I hope you're joking.

I am don’t worry. :)

Friendly Stranger
I don't believe that the Geogaddi album was somehow influenced in it's sound by 9/11. The would have had to have been 90% complete by September 11th 2001 to release April the following year.

I think they'll comment on that world event being a catalyst for the albums vibe. But in fact they picked up that something world changing was about to happen long before 9/11.

I am being serious about the music on Alex Jones too.. Have you heard any of it over the years? Some of it has been really great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyUNMIsgwMo

J.Jardine wrote:I don't believe that the Geogaddi album was somehow influenced in it's sound by 9/11. The would have had to have been 90% complete by September 11th 2001 to release April the following year.

Well...

"Mike: "I guess this record is more positive than the last, at least on the surface. 'Geogaddi' was kind of exorcising demons, and even after we'd set out to do a record like that, smack in the middle of working on it, 9/11 happened. I remember there were a few of us in the studio that day, and we just ended up glued to the TV for the whole day. I think the months after that pushed us into making a darker record, as I'm sure it did with a lot of bands. A lot's happened since then, I have an amazing little daughter now who makes me laugh every day and gives me a greater sense of purpose on this planet than I ever had. "
https://bocpages.org/wiki/Above_Board!

One thing he wants to dispel about Geogaddi: "It was a project. It's its own thing. A claustrophobic trip through a world full of paranoia and darkness. Some people confuse the record with us. We're no doom merchants."
"Don't forget," he says just after, "we were in the studio when 9/11 happened. The last five months recording Geogaddi were spent in the aftermath of 9/11. It was an anxious time and it felt like we were going back to the cold war. Again, I was reminded of the anxiety I had felt as a child about the nuclear bomb. I think everyone from our generation knows that feeling very well. We couldn't get rid of it, it affected our mood. The tone got more oppressive. The atmosphere, the samples... It's got everything to do with it." "Besides", going further, "I was going through a difficult period. It was a fucked-up year."
https://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop

Mike: When we started Geogaddi, we were aiming to make a complex and dark record. In the middle of working on that album, 9/11 happened while we were in the studio. We sank deeper into making a dark record to reflect that time. When we started this new album, we both felt the world had become even darker and more unpredictable than it was during 9/11. Wars, terrorism, natural disasters were happening one after another. But our reaction was not to reflect that but to create an escapist record that stands in contrast to these times. Something more utopian and completely unrelated to the current state of the world.
https://bocpages.org/wiki/Music_of_Struggle

Friendly Stranger
rodox_head wrote:
mmmidwesttt wrote:

OR

I hope you're joking.

You hope
ветер с моря дул, нагонял беду

Friendly Stranger

OR

I would imagine their space album would look like this
phpBB [media]

Friendly Stranger

OR

I'm taking that 1% Chance

Posts Quantity
hexagonFox wrote:Anyone notice Hades Antenna still has an Instagram up?

https://www.instagram.com/hades_antenna/

any one of you all?

Tbh I think we are waiting for one more clue, one more comment. or even,
we missed something.

Best,
Fox

Account created in November 2022, same month that the YouTube channel went empty.

Friendly Stranger
demo wrote:Space is so prominent in SxT and other facets of BoC's art, but not in any of their currently released albums. Space themed album has gotta be happening at some point.

I remember that theory that MHTRTC is the childhood, Geogaddi is adulthood, and TCH is old age. Therefore, TH is the death and LP5 is the afterlife.

LP5, probably not about space directly, it could be much more heavenly, more similar to 5.9.78.
You’re always on a war with yourself, you’re just used to it.

Posts Quantity
hexagonFox wrote:Anyone notice Hades Antenna still has an Instagram up?

https://www.instagram.com/hades_antenna/

any one of you all?

Tbh I think we are waiting for one more clue, one more comment. or even,
we missed something.

Best,
Fox

Maybe there exists a magic window through which it can be found
ImageImageImage

Eagle Minded

Posts Quantity
Anyone else getting an error when you try to open this thread by clicking on the "1164" latest page number on the main BoC forum page? I can open it from other links, but not that one

Posts Quantity
aye same here. don't worry about it.

Posts Quantity
Fredd-E wrote:
J.Jardine wrote:I don't believe that the Geogaddi album was somehow influenced in it's sound by 9/11. The would have had to have been 90% complete by September 11th 2001 to release April the following year.

Well...

"Mike: "I guess this record is more positive than the last, at least on the surface. 'Geogaddi' was kind of exorcising demons, and even after we'd set out to do a record like that, smack in the middle of working on it, 9/11 happened. I remember there were a few of us in the studio that day, and we just ended up glued to the TV for the whole day. I think the months after that pushed us into making a darker record, as I'm sure it did with a lot of bands. A lot's happened since then, I have an amazing little daughter now who makes me laugh every day and gives me a greater sense of purpose on this planet than I ever had. "
https://bocpages.org/wiki/Above_Board!

One thing he wants to dispel about Geogaddi: "It was a project. It's its own thing. A claustrophobic trip through a world full of paranoia and darkness. Some people confuse the record with us. We're no doom merchants."
"Don't forget," he says just after, "we were in the studio when 9/11 happened. The last five months recording Geogaddi were spent in the aftermath of 9/11. It was an anxious time and it felt like we were going back to the cold war. Again, I was reminded of the anxiety I had felt as a child about the nuclear bomb. I think everyone from our generation knows that feeling very well. We couldn't get rid of it, it affected our mood. The tone got more oppressive. The atmosphere, the samples... It's got everything to do with it." "Besides", going further, "I was going through a difficult period. It was a fucked-up year."
https://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop

Mike: When we started Geogaddi, we were aiming to make a complex and dark record. In the middle of working on that album, 9/11 happened while we were in the studio. We sank deeper into making a dark record to reflect that time. When we started this new album, we both felt the world had become even darker and more unpredictable than it was during 9/11. Wars, terrorism, natural disasters were happening one after another. But our reaction was not to reflect that but to create an escapist record that stands in contrast to these times. Something more utopian and completely unrelated to the current state of the world.
https://bocpages.org/wiki/Music_of_Struggle

I think if one can attempt to approximate the intended meaning behind Geogaddi, it's not so surprising.

When 9/11 happened, it became rather plain-as-day evident one of the considerable dangers of irrational belief.

Those that are irrational are more prone to group psychology, and as a result, more easily provoked in numbers through manipulation. This often leads to bloodshed.

This type of danger is increasing again with the recent increase in vocal right-wing extremism, thanks in at least some small part to this guy's Alex Jones. Which, by the way, I hope we could all agree almost couldn't be further from the BoC philosophy.
ImageImageImage

PreviousNext

Return to Boards of Canada